What says comfort and down-home cookin' like a warm apple pie?!Like many people,I think my mom makes the best pies!🙂 So of course I learned from her,and make them ‘like mom does'.
When I was 12,my parents bought a bakery from our Preacher's wife.I worked in that bakery every summer from age 12 till I married.(at age 19!) I hated it,quite frankly.But it definitely gave me experience in baking.🙂 I soon realized that I enjoyed making pies more than most other things,so I was the pie-maker for the last 3-4 summers that I worked there. We made anywhere from 20-40 pies a week,depending on the market.
I have had several requests for my apple pie filling recipe,so today I thought I would share mine with you all.
First you peel the apples.Core them,slice or dice,as you desire.Put them in a big kettle – with enough room to do some serious stirring.This filling can splatter!Add sugar,cinnamon,lemon juice,and water.Simmer for 5-10 min,depending on how soft you like your apples.
When the apples are softened,pour the Clear-jell mixture into the apples in a thin stream,stirring the apples quickly.The Clear-jell starts to set very quickly,so keep stirring and stirring as you slowly pour the Clear-jell in.As the filling starts to thicken,it will start to bubble up and splatter.These splatters are hot!I recommend using an oven mitt on the hand you are stirring with.You can turn the heat to low,too.
When the Clear-jell is all mixed in,and the filling has returned to a boil,(bubbling) remove from heat and cool.
Pour into prepared pie crust and bake.
Having trouble finding Clear-Jell?I buy mine from Amazon:
Hoosier Hill Farm Clear Jel,1.5 Lbs.It lasts a long time.
- 3 lbs apples,peel,core,slice
- Water to nearly cover apples in pan
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 TBL butter
- 一个柠檬汁,or 3 TBL ReaLemon(can omit if apples are very tart.)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 TBL Clear-Jell
- ½ cup cold water
- Peel,core and slice apples.
- Place apples in a large pan and add water till apples are nearly covered.
- Add butter,sugar,cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Cook 5-10 minutes,or till apples are softened.(not mushy!)
- Mix ½ cup cold water and Clear-JEll.
- Pour Clear-Jell slowly into the apples,while stirring apples quickly.
- Bring apple filling mix to a boil,(bubbling slowly) and remove from heat.
- Cool.Pour into prepared pie crusts and bake at 350* for one hour.